Friday, February 8, 2008

Questions for 2-11

For the most part I agree with the use of powerpoints in the classroom. To me, it's almost like the professor/teacher sharing his/her notes with the entire class. I definitely like when a professor posts the powerpoints to the website so you can print them out and use them during the lecture.

Overall, I don't really have any critisism of powerpoint as a tool during class. A situation that doesn't call for the use of powerpoint can probably be viewed as a poor powerpoint presentation. Just as with any tool, or techinique for that matter, I think that overdependence on any certain method is never a good thing; after completing this assignment and past powerpoint presentations, I have realized just how versatile powerpoint is. It is with that in mind that many lessons in the classroom can be enhanced with the help of powerpoint.

3 comments:

M said...

Hi Brian!
I'm from the UF group, and I just wanted to make a comment on your last couple of posts. I agree with you on the topic of the overdependance on Power Points; it's also true that it doesn't just apply to Power Point. Your points go right along with the articles we read last week for class: we have to be careful not to use technology just for the "bells and whistles" aspect. I think that can be hard on us in the teaching profession, because new technology is so exciting that we feel tempted to use it for everything in teaching. But like anything, moderation is the key. Also, the students are a lot more tech-savvy than some of us older folk are, so it can even be boring for them. To be honest, it's often boring even for me (especially Power Point, as you can read in my post from this week.

Oh yeah, and I just have two more comments:
1. The picture of you and your daughter (?) is absolutely adorable.
2. Was your Power Point supposed to be pro-fast food or anti? I'm hoping it was anti.....

Anthony Palmer said...

I think Powerpoint can be useful when a teacher has lousy handwriting or when there are simply too many notes to keep track of. That can really help the students out.

But I also think that when you use Powerpoint, depending on who much elaboration you use, you run the risk of being seen as "teaching by numbers." I really don't like it when professors use Powerpoint and they read their PP slides word for word. It makes it seem like they are unfamiliar with what they are talking about, and if I've already printed out the PP notes beforehand, then I wouldn't get much out of the lecture.

Dr. L said...

Good job with your powerpoint and with the assignment. Try to really think about the downside of ppt -- and be as critical as possible so that you can evaluate both its good and bad aspects! 9/10