Friday, April 4, 2008

thoughts on the virtual world

I certainly found this week's hands-on to quite different than anything we have done up to this point. Our class got kind of heated in the discussion of whether or not mobile technology and virtual reality games are worthwhile in the FL classroom. I like the idea of using cell phones for texting, since that is extremely relevant to students today. I do think however, that something like that would work better with college-level students. I think using the iPod to listen to exercises is a great idea, and very convenient.

As far as Second Life goes, I didn't really enjoy it too much. I'm not a gamer; I don't like playing almost any kind of video game so I was pretty bored during the hands-on the other night. I can see its merit though, and I think it's important to remember that everyone learns differently, and an activity like Second Life could help us as teachers to address different modalities of learning in our teaching and activities. Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

ChomboMambo said...

Hey Brian! I think you're right about every student learns differently and I don't think that I would be able to learn in Second Life. I was very distracting with everything that was going on. I guess once one learns how to use the program is gets easy to browse it. Side note- I remember you were talking about when you went to Martinique. What exactly were you doing there? Was it French related? I know that the official language of Martinique is French but isn't Creole the language usually spoken by the common people?

Dr. L said...

Interesting thoughts. 10/10

Liz E said...

Bonjour mon amie!:) I agree with you in that every student has different learning styles/preferences, but don't you think that middle/high school students would enjoy using Second Life? Unlike you, I got really into it (granted I was being kinda silly and goofing around, but still!). While I am not sure that I agree with using Second Life in the classroom, I could see how it would be a really motivational task for students as long as the teacher could keep the task guided and discipline under control. See ya tomorrow night in class!

M said...

Hi Brian!
I first want to thank you for your nice comment on my blog post last week. I wanted to send you something sooner, but you know how it goes, the semesters are over before we realize it. In regards to your post, I found it very interesting to hear that you were bored during the hands-on with Second Life. I admit that I find it hard to see the pedagogical value of it, but it was fun for me, on a non-educational level. I think that you're also very right about the different ways in which students learn, and I think that that is one of the things that makes our jobs as teachers so dynamic and engaging. I enjoyed your post, and I think that you made some very thoughtful points.